Career Insight: Agriculture in Legislation


With all of the possible careers surrounding students invested in agriculture, finding the right fit may seem overwhelming. Here are a few words from guest blogger Brad Griff, who operates out of Boise as a congressional staffer for Idaho Representative Raul Labrador.


Represenative Raul Labrador
I’m sure you’ve often wondered what to do with your degree after you’ve graduated. Seven short years ago, I was in your shoes, wondering what to do with my newly minted political science degree from the University of Idaho.  I’d like to share with you my career path as just one example of many opportunities for students interested in agriculture. 

Growing up on a fourth generation family farm, I have always loved agriculture. In many ways, it defines who I am. From an early age, I was also drawn to politics. As a 6-year-old, I remember watching the 1992 Presidential debates with my parents, fascinated by the entire process. Many years later, I graduated from the University of Idaho in 2009. My goal was to find a way to combine two of my strongest passions: politics and agriculture.

After graduating, I moved to Washington, DC to work in Senator Mike Crapo’s office. For a political nerd like me, it was an experience of a lifetime. I had a front-row seat to the greatest democracy in history. I was eventually became an advisor to Congressman Raul Labrador on agriculture and natural resources issues.

In this role, I was responsible for keeping Congressman Labrador informed on all agriculture policy. I also met with commodity groups from all over Idaho, listened to their issues and updated them on the progress of agriculture reforms. I learned the legislative process backwards and forwards, and worked hard to pass bills into law. For this farm-grown kid, my role was to protect Idaho’s ag interests on the front lines of the policy debates in Washington, DC.

My career path is just one of many options available to you after graduation. Whatever your passions may be, I encourage you to use your knowledge of agriculture to preserve and protect farmers’ way of life.     

Brad Griff
Regional Director

Congressman Raul Labrador

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALS Ireland Study Abroad 2018

Student Spotlight: Sydney Anderson