Consider AFA

Every November the organization Agriculture Future of America hosts a conference in Kansas City for college students pursuing a degree in agriculture. This conference aids students in building professional skills as well as networking with employers. Emily George, a fellow CALS student, lends her insight as to why you should make it an addition to your college career.
Emily George


Professional Development
     AFA has contributed to my professional development by expanding my knowledge and skill base and giving me countless opportunities for networking with industry professionals and other high caliber students from across the nation that are as passionate about agriculture as I am. 

Knowledge Base- Since the Leaders Conference follows a Track layout, AFA is able to provide meaningful and informative sessions that correspond to the stage I am in my life. You get to learn about new and hot topics and how industries are handling those.

Skill base- After attending this event that brings together 650 students, my skill set when it comes to networking has definitely been expanded. I am able to go up to someone new, and with 650 students it happens all of the time, and not be afraid to introduce myself and start a conversation with them about where they are from and why they are involved with agriculture. AFA has also been able to open my eyes to more issues happening across the nation and how I can get involved through internships that I would have never thought were possible rather than closing myself off by only staying in the Northwest. 

Networking- This event and others that AFA puts on allows you so many opportunities to network and spend time with the next generation of student leaders. I have continued contact with industry professionals and made some lifelong friends through this program. 

My favorite aspects of the November Leaders Conference:
     My favorite part about the Leaders Conference is the passion and excitement that is felt by everyone toward agriculture, which always causes me to be refreshed afterward. I always want to come right home and get to work promoting agriculture in my school and community. Being able to make the connections that you get to at an event like this allows you to make friends, have an "in" when it comes to new opportunities, and grow as an individual. I also love how as you can see in the title, AFA LEADERS conference, AFA truly does treat you like a leader. Their mission is not leadership, but actually leader and professional development. They take the leadership skills that you have already learned through high school and possibly your work in 4-H and FFA and apply those to the professional environment with industry leaders and other high caliber students. AFA treats you like the leader you are and I think that is really amazing since not a lot of other organizations do or promote that.





Hungry for more information?
Here is a video of the Conference's 2015 Takeaways:


What are you waiting for? Apply today! Deadlines are in early September.


http://www.agfuture.org/s/1342/index.aspx?sid=1342&gid=1&pgid=1163









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALS Ireland Study Abroad 2018

Student Spotlight: Sydney Anderson