Words from the Wise

Trent Van Leuven, Ag Instructor at Mackay High School, shares how he engages students in a diverse array of diciplines with a hands-on learning enviroment

      I changed my major at the University of Idaho from Ag Econ to Ag Ed after Mr. Pratt at Nezperce High School told me that I did a great job on a workshop and that I should consider teaching agriculture.  I had over 700 miles to think about it and had my decision by the time I made it home for Thanksgiving.
     Teaching provides many fulfilling moments.  In one class I had a student who never spoke outside of his home present the FFA Creed (to the astonishment of his peers) which began a cascade of speaking in public.  Last year I worked on a surprise for a student as she won the Culver’s Essay competition.  Each year I enjoy seeing students marvel at the size of the FFA membership in the opening session at the National FFA Convention—in which I get to remark “this is only one of three opening sessions because we can’t fit everyone in here.” 
     At Mackay High School I teach Intro to Ag, Fish and Wildlife, CSI Agri 109, CSI Agri 104, Intro to Ag Mech, Welding, Horticulture, Leadership, and Ag Comm.  The program has a surplus yard, 5 acre land lab under development, calf and lamb raising facilities, a hydroponic greenhouse, a high tunnel greenhouse, a fish lab, and a welding shop.  I enjoy working with students and providing opportunities for them to develop SAE projects.  My favorite CDE’s are Agronomy, Marketing, and Dairy Evaluation.

Trent Van Leuven
Agriscience Instructor and FFA Advisor
Mackay High School





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALS Ireland Study Abroad 2018

Student Spotlight: Sydney Anderson