Words From the Wise


Meridian Ag Instructor Liz Russell shares how agricultural 

education not only grows student leaders, but empowers

  the surrounding community to be Ag literate. 



      A colleague of mine recently asked me for a quote on ‘Why I am an ag teacher/FFA advisor’.  Here is what I replied: “I teach ag for every kid that doesn’t get to grow up on a farm.  Ag classes and the FFA organization are the next best way to become the person you need to be.”  I was the lucky Idaho kid who ‘got to’ grow up on a dairy farm.  We milked ~150 Holsteins twice a day, raised our replacement heifers and fed out our steers for the beef market, and farmed ~350 acres of corn, alfalfa hay and barley for cattle feed on family-supplied labor.  I learned from an early age the value of hard work, the pride of increased responsibility, and the benefits of being punctual and flexible.  I was enthused to follow in my older sister’s footsteps and take agriculture classes and join Emmett FFA with my twin brother once I reached the 8th grade.  The knowledge I gained in my ag classes, the leadership I gained through FFA, and the life lessons I learned by making my farm work my SAE, are half the reason I became an agriculture instructor/FFA advisor.

     The other half is more personal.  I have taught the past five years at one of the largest agriculture programs in the western United States in a city quickly moving away from its agricultural roots.  The city of Meridian, ID was recently listed as the 10th fastest growing city in the country.  Ironically, as the population of this area becomes more removed from agriculture, the school district program that educates about it continues to grow.  I teach with eleven other agriculture teachers from five different high schools in the WestAda school district and co-advise the Meridian FFA Chapter with those same eleven individuals.  It is not unusual to have class sizes of ~35 students, and our FFA chapter usually has ~200 dues paying members.  The majority of our students/members have zero agricultural background and knowledge.  Students may choose to follow an animal science, plant science, or mechanics pathway in our agriculture program.  The best part about my job, and more specifically, teaching at Meridian, is when students that have no direct tie to agriculture become positive advocates for what agriculturalists do and why.  


     My teaching focus is mainly animal science – I have taught livestock, equine, and small animal classes here.  I also teach a food science course, and enjoy teaching ag economics and personal skills when possible.   I personally focus on coaching the Horse Evaluation and Food Science & Technology CDE’s.  I am the advisor in charge of supervising FFA horse showmen at our county fair and I enjoy helping students get ready for State Degree sifting, proficiency awards, and scholarships.  A great aspect of teaching at a multi-teacher program is getting to specialize and teach some classes I would never have the option to elsewhere.  As a FFA advisor, it is also invaluable to work with a great team of supportive colleagues while helping guide such a diverse FFA chapter.  I firmly believe that an agricultural lifestyle instills the most important traits into a person.  As an agriculture instructor at Meridian, I get to help provide that for ~200 students each semester who otherwise would be missing one of the greatest opportunities of their young lives to become ag literate citizens and effective leaders.
First graders in the WestAda school district have attending Meridian's elementary ag expo.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALS Ireland Study Abroad 2018

Student Spotlight: Sydney Anderson

Rikki Ruiz Alumna Feature